Monday, March 24, 2008

The Cost of a Good Education

Astounding.

I like the Montessori idea.... I looked into a local Montessori school - almost $4000.00 a year tuition. yikes.
Better yet...
I looked into a different private school --- almost $11,000 ! Thats almost the cost of one year of college! I had thought to myself... only boob doctor's kids etc can afford that school. But I found people whom I consider my peers (maybe a little older) are able to send their kids there. Wow, really ? How the hell do you pull that off ?? What kind of crazy budget allows you to pay for a mortgage, 2 cars, insurance, other standard bills plus an extra say 1100.00 a month for your kids school while maintaining "regular joe" jobs?
Then I wonder, maybe they have a parental or grandparental benefactor ?
How exactly to these people pull that off ?
Makes me feel like I screwed up somewhere, or I'm not realizing the importance of a stellar elementary/middle school/high school education ? I should be considering elementary education as important as a college education therefore I should be allotting more money to the area of Wyatts tween education ?
URGH... makes my head spin
I think about this all the time. That maybe Randy and I should have waited until we were both more "established" until we had children. When I was 19 my doc told me "If you don't have kids soon, your chances of ever carrying is going to diminish" I had Wyatt when I was 21 because of it. No one regrets children after they've had them, but I do wish that I could have at least finished college before I did, I was so close... and they would probably have a better life. So, its my fault. Got to live with it, and have to make it work.
For Pete's sake, Randy and I still talk about the day we can afford a house that is over 135K or the day we could afford 2 car payments.
I suppose I should get off this blog, and log onto Monster.Com

About Me

My photo
Im the mother of a 7 yr. old and a 10 year old. Married for 100 years to a sailor. Formally a criminal justice student that got lots of sleep and laid on a bed not covered in goldfish crackers.